Our Church Building

                           

Our 1st Church

                The LaRue  Methodist Church was formed in 1845 and was known as the LaRue M.E. Church.   The first protracted meetings were held in the barn of Major and Mrs. William LaRue during the summer of 1845.  The middle of the barn floor was cleaned and boards were used as seats.  The seats were often filled and the men and boys would would sit on the hay at either side.

In 1861  the first subscription for the erection of a church building was circulated and the struggle began for a church home.  This struggle went on for nine years.   Work began and was stopped by several contractors through the years.  The building was slow to becoming a reality.

In 1868 a new minister was assigned to LaRue and the following year the building was completed.  The culmination of the effort was late in 1869 and the dedication was on January 16, 1870.

 

 

Our Present Building

The present building was built in 1895 and was rededicated in 1995.

 Why does the church exist? According to Matthew’s Gospel, the risen Christ made it clear: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you” (28:19-20). Based on this “Great Commission,” our  United Methodist Church has stated its purpose: “The mission of the Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”  Local churches provide the most significant arena through which disciple-making occurs.

 

Costume History

 

Fall 1994 – The Worship Committee decided to do a live Outdoor Nativity before Christmas.

To do a drama like that you need people and costumes.  The people were willing but what to do for costumes.  Becky Kibler said her former church had costumes we might be able to borrow.  But we really wanted our own, so a team of seamstresses was formed.   Those who helped were Deborah Hougendobler, Margie Greenwood, Katherine McElheny, Ruth Williams, Norma Redd, Jo Heller.

Then we needed material.  We raided our closets and came up with sheets, bedspreads, curtains, drapes  and scraps of new material.  Some new material was donated also.  The sewing began.  When we were done we had costumes for Joseph & Mary, baby Jesus (Kay Hafer donated a baby doll and Thia Rozman made a dress for it), the three wise men, many angels, and six or eight shepherds, large and small.

We also had live animals.

The Junior Choir decided to on a pagent too, so the sewing team went to work again and made a lot smaller outfits.

After the Christmas pagents it was decided to do the Last Supper.  More material was donated and more costumes were made.  There are aboout 40 costumes that the team made, plus there are some that have been donated from other people.  The Chancel Choir made a lot of their own for their programs.

Most of these ladies don’t sew anymore but their time and effort can be seen whenever those costumes are used.